Digital Economy Bill reaches final stages in the House of Lords
The Digital Economy Bill has had its final day of Report Stage scrutiny in the House of Lords. Government have been defeated on a number of amendments, most notably a Labour amendment which would set the USO at a standard of 30Mbps, with the aim of reaching 2Gbps. ISPA have been working very closely with Government on the online safety aspects of the Bill, and have been commended numerous times during the debate on our efforts to raise the profile of e-Safety tools. ISPA have been asked for input on the age verification guidance which it has published in draft. The guidance can be found here - please let us know if you have any comments.
Ofcom publishes consultation on automatic compensation
Ofcom have published a consultation on their proposals to introduce automatic compensation for residential consumers of broadband services who suffer quality of service problems in relation to delayed repairs, delayed provisions, and missed appointments. They also set out proposals for small and medium sized businesses to ensure that they receive better information on the quality of service (including compensation payments) they should get from their landline and broadband provider. The deadline for responses is June 5th and ISPA will be responding.
Sponsor the leading Internet industry awards
Raise your profile at the leading Internet industry awards. The ISPA Awards are the largest gathering of ISPs and providers of VoIP, hosting and cloud services in the UK. Sponsoring the ISPAs is a great way to:
- Promote your company to scores of service providers
- Network with hundreds of senior decision makers
- Gain high profile brand exposure
- Advertise to your target audience before, during and after the ceremony
- Entertain clients and reward staff
- Generate PR opportunities and new business leads
- Benefit from 9 months of promotional benefits, including newsletter editorial and press releases
For full information, please click here or call the awards team on 020 3397 3304 to discuss which package works for you.
ISPA Awards tickets on sale
The 19th ISPA Awards ceremony will take place in Café de Paris in London on Thursday 13th July and you can purchase the tickets through Eventbrite here. The tickets to this black tie event include a three course meal and drinks during the dinner, stand up host, award ceremony and DJ set until the early hours. Individual tickets cost £230 (including VAT and all fees) and you can make savings in purchasing the table for 12 or half a table for 6. ISPA members and nominees of the ISPA awards 2017 can also purchase the discounted price tickets.
ISPA in the Press
It’s been a busy month of press coverage for ISPA, our comments on the Lords Communications Committee Report were featured on BBC News, The Register, ThinkBroadband, and Computer Weekly. ISPA’s comments on the Ofcom Automatic Compensation Consultation were covered by ISPreview and uSwitch. We also had comments on the IPA featured in Info Security and our Chair James Blessing was interviewed on the Radio 4 Today Programme on the complexities of dealing with potentially harmful online content.
VoiceHost joined ISPA
The VoiceHost Broadband network is a private service designed to meet the data requirements of those that utilise SIP and VoIP (The VoiceHost Hosted PBX or SIP Trunking products). We offer next generation services both contented and uncontended and automatically optimise all of our circuits to expedite VoIP traffic, maximising call quality and reliability. VoiceHost customers additionally benefit from 24/7 support from our Norwich based Technical support team.
Deals for members
ISPA has secured a number of deals for ISPA members and upcoming ones are:
- At least £200 off Operational Challenges for GDPR Implementation in Banks tickets– 24-25 April, London. This event will consider how banks can overcome the operational challenges of complying with the GDPR, in particular challenges presented by legacy systems and the top three legislative changes. The conference will also cover the impact of cross-jurisdictions and Brexit on GDPR, in particular exploring how those outside the EU will either have to comply or face a barrier in terms of sharing data.
- At least £200 off Risk Data Aggregation and Reporting tickets – 24-25 April, London. This event will provide strategic information on the best practices employed so far and encourage a dialogue between European banks and regulators with the objective to develop a cost effective, viable and compliant risk data business models.
- 15% off The RailTel & CBTC congress - 25th -26th April, London